a

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Help is on the Way - Rise Against.



For all you punk fans out there, this one is for you. Rise Against has been a staple for the punk / alt rock community for the last 11 years, and if you have not heard of them yet, you best take a listen now. If you like Bad Religion, Black Flag, or Dead Kennedys, then Rise Against should be an easy listen as all of these bands heavily influenced their music style.

They have, as of late, become a lot more mainstream. It wasn't until last year that I began hearing their music on the local hard rock station in DC. My thoughts at the time: FINALLY! I am sure you have heard at least one or two of their songs, that is unless you live under a rock, are a hipster, or are an ignorant music snob. Their most recent album, Appeal to Reason (2008) has been their plane ticket to the mainstream, as they have had four or five hits off this album alone. Savior is probably their biggest hit out of them all, and it is still played in mass rotation to this day.

It must be said, however, that their older albums are what turned me on to them in the first place. The Sufferer & The Witness was the first album I could ever stand to listen to front to back, and I proceeded to do so for an entire summer. This was the album that truly made them famous, but not quite famous enough to break into the mainstream. If you like what you hear from the video above, then I actually suggest you listen to The Sufferer & The Witness before Appeal to Reason. That is just my opinion though. But hey, its a blog.

It also has to be said that these guys kill it live. I have seen A LOT of shows for a 19 year old. Santana twice, Derek Trucks, Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Metallica, Deadmau5, Chevelle three times, Shinedown twice, the list goes on. I have never seen a more energized, true to sound, quality performance. It was one of the most fun concerts I have had the pleasure of attending.

Rise Against's new album "Endgame" is due for release on March 15th and I look forward to seeing what direction the band sees its music heading. Whether it is a return to underground or blasting headfirst down the path of the mainstream, I know for a fact that if all of the songs on the album sound as good as this, it will be their best album.
Oh, and I have tickets to their show in DC on April 26th. Score.

23 comments:

  1. Very solid post man. Love Rise Against.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rise Against is the shit. Great choice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im not really into this band, will check it out later though

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never listened to Rise Against on an album-basis, but I have heard a few songs, and they're good. I'll have to get ahold of their albums and give 'em a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great band, great song. I always listen to Rise Against whenever I hit the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're a good band. I just hope the hipsters don't ruin it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bloody love Rise Against, I don't even have to look at the rest of your blog to say: Followed.

    Excellent excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly Rise Against used to be my favorite band but seriously??? The last album and this new one are the lamest two albums I've ever heard. These guys never EVER change their sound. Its seriously the same thing over and over and over and over and over again. Maybe add a killer guitar solo or something different sometime instead of doing the same thing album after album.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How is the mastering on this album? Is it loud? I'm tired of distorted albums and hope that this is at least clean-sounding. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never really been into punk, which is a shame because this kicks ass!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Rise Against. I think their earlier stuff is the best though (2003).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, this really made me think of high school. My first serious girlfriend was a big RA fan.
    http://hardupgamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. video is blocked in my country. damn it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely love rise against! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I already pre-ordered this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This band is very good. Nice taste there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Rise Against. Such a great band!

    ReplyDelete